GALLOPING THROUGH THE AGES
40 000 Years of Man and Horse’s History
Exhibitions opens: 29 December 2018 at 13:00
Naturalists’ House, Mariacka Street 25/26 Gdańsk
Please note that the exhibition is presented in Polish.
For centuries, the horse has been man’s companion, however, its function changed in time. For this reason, the exhibition at the Archaeological Museum in Gdańsk is more than a chronological tale, an epoch after epoch. Chosen topics are presented accompanying chosen historic artefacts and precious archaeological sources.
- Famous horses in history. From Incitatus and Bucephalus to First Marshal Piłsudski’s
- Evolution of the horse. Starting with the Hyracotherium, which measured 25-50 cm in withers.
- The horse as a food source. In the distant past when huntsmen hunted herds of wild horses.
- Domestication of the horse. About how nomadic communities dwelling on the steps of Eurasia spread their culture by travelling on horseback.
- Changes in bone structure. About the traces of degeneration identified in both animal remains as well as the backbones of riders.
- The horse motif in art. From 30 000 year old cave paintings, through horse statues in antiquity, to the canvases of Kossak.
- The horse motif in literature. Is it true that for you / A white horse will come flying? / A horse which digs through burial mounds, / And shines with a ruby eye; / An odd hell horse / They say an immortal?
- The horse motif in cinematography. Since 1878 when Eadweard Muybridge took a series of photographs presenting the phases of movement of a galloping horse: Sallie Gardner at a Gallop…
The “Galloping Through the Ages” exhibition can be viewed at the headquarters of the Archaeological Museum in Gdańsk, at the Naturalists’ House on Mariacka Street 25/26. The opening of the exhibition has been planned to take place on December 29th, 2018 at 13:00. Free admission to the opening. Later available with a ticket according to ticket prices: https://archeologia.pl/en/dom-przyrodnikow/ticket-prices?fbclid=IwAR31APkwadlOvxzx92Atk4lXJpD2loL6HYEJYJO8VyrmaNN2rrmaksWr2nE
Join the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/556577838147777/
The exhibition will be open until the end of June 2019. Opening hours of the Naturalists’ House can be found at: https://archeologia.pl/en/dom-przyrodnikow/opening-hours?fbclid=IwAR2XwFUGvrbh7rj7B_48748xuctQEg7kM3Hh3-LnRcGcslyr5FIHRVRVNNU